4 Days in the Mountains..... Brrrrrrr!

I never cease to be amazed by the technology of today. OK, I know, I'm a little behind the times, but Jonathan just bought himself a new laptop for Christmas, and here I am.... in Highlands, NC blogging while everyone is getting ready to go out for the day. I've never blogged from anywhere but my own computer at my desk. We can't even seem to get wireless working in our house -- the guys been out multiple times and something always seems to go wrong.
But here I am, in North Carolina..... I've imported my photos, uploaded them to Blogger, and well, here we are.... a new post in the mountains. Between that and my new Droid phone (which is waaaay complicated and came with no manual), I'm a little overwhelmed with technology these days! But it's so nice to be able to share a little of our vacation while we're actually still here ... real time blogging!

So on our first night here, we went to a local hang out. Yummy, yummy barbeque!

Maddie chilling at the barbeque restaurant

I love to make him giggle......

The kids bundled up the first night in the cabin.... they love all sleeping together. At least this time there was a king bed. It was really cute.... they brought a stack of Jacob's books into the bed, and they were reading bedtime stories to him.

Here's a glimpse of what the mountain looked like on our drive down to Asheville Friday morning. It was all of 14 degrees! No snow but the icicles everywhere were beautiful.

This is Bridal Veil falls.... it was frozen over. Normally you can drive underneath the falls, but on this day, there were thick sheets of ice on the road below.

Here's that beautiful house..... Biltmore Estate in Asheville..... 255 rooms, 43 bathrooms, 65 fireplaces.... 175,000 square feet. Makes me cringe to think about all the cleaning involved! But it's so wonderful at Christmas here with all the garlands and wreaths and trees. I love the history of the house and just thinking about how it must have been at the turn of the century. Guests must have been amazed at the technology.... indoor plumbing, elevators, electric lights on the Christmas tree, working refrigerators and all the rest.

Jacob spotting something else he wanted at Biltmore in the gift shop.

This is in the wine cellar at Biltmore

Here are the girls at their "wine tasting" -- a little grape juice, please

Jacob tasting his "wine" too. I heard him say to the girls, "What flavor do you like best? I like this one." Uh-oh..... sounds like he may have inherited his daddy's genes.

Jonathan had to pull over to get a shot of these wild turkeys. He gets so excited.

We've been playing lots of games and watching family movies, well, I thought they were family movies. I saw The Goonies the other day at the store and thought "Oh, I loved that movie when I was little." Uh, maybe I wasn't so little after all -- although the movie is cute, it's got a few too many sh@#'s and he!!'s for a mama to feel comfortable with. I just kept apologizing to the kids, somehow though they didn't seem to mind at all.... imagine that.

So it's been great and we still have a day and a half left. We're off to town to shop and eat lunch. See ya'll!
Photobucket