The "Old-Folk's Ball"

So yesterday I go shopping in downtown Auburn. That's a real treat for me... I love all the girly stores down there. It's great living in a college town because you don't need huge department stores to keep up with the latest fashions. There are trendy little shops right here.... the only downside is that at 38, I'm definitely one of their "older" customers.

But I always go anyway... avoiding at least half of the clothes in the store for reasons of age. I'm only about 5 pounds heavier than I was in college, so that part's OK, but I am almost 20 years older and I certainly don't ever want to look like a hoochie-mama, so I'm careful in what I try on and buy.

So there I am, in the dressing room trying on clothes, surrounded by voices of college girls trying on their own clothes and then I hear this....

GIRL 1: "Well, I don't know what I want. I've never had to buy anything like this before."

GIRL 2: "What do you mean? I think you should try on this dress."

GIRL 1: "Yea, but I don't think I could get by with that one. I can't really buy things I would normally buy.... it's for an "Old-Folk's Ball."

GIRL 2: "An Old-Folk's Ball?"

GIRL 1: "Yea.... my parents are MAKING me come home tonight for some ball for them and all of their friends. It's an "Old-Folk's Ball."


And then right there in the dressing room I was completely deflated. An "Old-Folk's Ball".... for her parents........ who are probably 45 if that!!!

Reminds me of the time a few years ago when I was at the shoe department in Dillards and this young, college-aged girl who was quite stressed out came up to me and said, "Ma'am.... could you PLEEEAAASE help me? I'm going to a wedding this weekend and I can't figure out which shoes to buy to go with this dress? My mom always helps me and I can't do it without her.... and now that I'm at Auburn, she can't help. Could you?"

And there I was thinking I'm looking alright for 35.... I've stayed out of the sun with my fair skin.... I even get carded when I buy alcohol most of the time!! One guy didn't even believe me when I showed him my license.... did I tell you that I asked him to be my best friend right after that??? How is it exaaaacctly that this college girl put me in the same category as her mama?? I still feel like I'm 26 or so....

HAAAA! Yea, right!!! Who am I fooling?

That's OK.... I don't really want to be back in college again anyway....... the dating, the rejection, the studying, the partying, the hangovers, and all that insecurity. I'm glad I'm 38. I've learned alot, I'm pretty comfortable in my own skin, and I know who I am now. I wouldn't give that up for anything -- not even smoother skin and a tighter backside!

Photobucket