Weekend from Heaven

Jonathan and I had the best time this weekend. He told me a couple of months ago that he wanted to do something special for Valentine's. His idea, you ask?? Go shoot some animals or something, he says. You may think that's a joke, but I know him well.... He was serious!

OK.... so he's not perfect.

And I responded by saying, "Well, I don't know about that.... but maybe we could go to Atlanta or something."

Then all on his own he mentioned going to Scott's....

Seeeeeeee.... there is a glimmer of perfection in there somewhere. I was excited but I was also feeling like we really shouldn't put ourselves in the position of being surrounded by beautiful antiques in this economy with his new job and everything. But we went and of course found more than we ever have. Jonathan ended up buying 2 chairs for his new office and I found a dresser, mirror and 2 nightstands for Macy's room. And then came my little Valentine's surprise... he let me buy 2 rugs for the kitchen and dining room! I love them. Want to see them??

This one's for the kitchen

And here's the one for the dining room


And here's one of the chairs for his new office

We did good, I thought. But much better than that was what a fabulous time we had together. It is so rare for us to get away by ourselves, and sometimes when we do I think we are still neck-deep in work or kids or projects or whatever that it's hard to just let it all go. But not this time. We really enjoyed every moment. And we even shopped well together -- that's a miracle!

If you're a regular follower of my blog you know that this past year as been a really tough one for both of us -- personally, professionally, and even in our marriage. Life isn't always a bed of roses, I guess. I think I came to a crossroads last year, and I finally put my foot down and said enough's enough! There were days I didn't know exactly how it would all turn out... and days that I didn't have much hope that it would be good. But isn't it so great on the other side.... when you know you've done the work, put in the effort and it's all paid off. I think we both realized this weekend why we chose each other in the first place all those years ago. We laughed, and talked and ate and drank and just had fun together. I told him it was the best trip we've taken since our honeymoon. And it's too darn bad that us mommies and daddies don't do that much more often.

Thank you, Jonathan, for putting me first. I love you and I appreciate all that you are doing to let me know that I'm your girl. Happy Valentine's.

And, of course, I was running so late getting out of town that I forgot my camera so you'll have to settle for the picture of the kid's getting their Valentine's present from us when we got home. What do you know? ANOTHER WEBKINZ!!! Just what they all needed!


Photobucket